02 January 2013

April 2009


13: Auditioned for Boarshead Theatre's season after a very short wait (I was a walk-in).  The artistic director asked me re Florida Studio Theatre as she knew a former A.D. there, and also wanted to know what Star Trek Versus Batman was (I get that question a lot).  She indicated I might be called back in later on for Bernard in Death of a Salesman.
14: Auditioned for a horror/romcom short - indie rather than student - called Hangers.  Several sides to cold read with other actors, even switching roles at one point, and a monologue.
17: Went to the dollar theatre to see Slumdog Millionaire with a big group: Sarah, Ricky, Justin, Catherine, Allesha, Liz, etc.  I was a little late, so I missed the very beginning.
18: Full day around Indianapolis, first off a double screening in Hamilton of two shorts, Waffles for Virginia (its premiere) and The Fresh Air Will Do You Good - two very different productions: a family film with animated sequences and a scifi buddy comedy.  Then over to Plainfield to audition for another horror flick, Freight.  Waited two hours before being seen, then they took forever, wanting to see everyone read everything and lots of repetition.  Ugh.  Ended barely in time to make it over to the main event, the premiere at the IMAX of A Time for the Heart, followed by Quantum Leap: A Leap to Di for.  A great crowd out for those, and I really enjoyed seeing Heart finally completed.  At the wrap party, had a great time hanging out with all those I had known from the shoots as well as meeting some new folks - who had worked on different scenes - or family of cast and crew.  Another filmmaker (not involved in these two) was also there for some reason, so I chatted some about her upcoming project, Shoki's Bag.  I couldn't stay as long as I might have liked though, as had some more traveling to do before a 10k trail run the following morn.
20: Had a quick headshot session (TFP), which was presumably done to build the photographer's portfolio and/or to try to get me to purchase additional prints or files.  But I got one good, free shot out of it -- and I certainly needed something to replace my college-era headshot.  So it worked out.
22: Not much more than an hour wait for Steppenwolf Theatre's general auditions - which is good.  The casting director wanted to know if I lived in Chicago, and to keep her posted when I do make that transition.
23: Auditioned for a number of Columbia student shorts - I had inquired about possible expense-covering prior, and apparently one of the student-directors thought I needed that to attend the auditions (rather than if cast).  They were in two different rooms, so I did different monologues and a cold reading from One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest; and I let them know about how much pay I would need to recoup travel expenses.
27: A similar wait as Steppenwolf at the next season audition, for Human Race Theatre Company, although they might have been more busy - started seeing walk-ins early, before appointments started.  I ran into a fellow from my university, whom I hadn't known personally, but I guess who knew me through common acquaintances.  And I did a similar thing in the room, as I mentioned my Bridgework director, who had worked for Human Race as well.  Journey down to Bloomington that day to attend auditions for Cardinal Stage Company, with a lot of the same personnel I remembered from previous times.  One asked again where I was from and how far it was, hinted they might call me back again; another wanted to know how long I had practiced capoeira.
28: More traveling, more season auditions, for Tipping Point Theatre (comedies TBA, and for 6-7 people in the room) and then Jewish Ensemble Theatre.  I was quite early for the second, arriving more than half an hour before the monitor, and again saw a friend of the colleague I mentioned at the Human Race audition.  The monitor actually came in to watch my audition.  The artistic director didn't have me sing, as the only singing roles for my age also involved playing piano.  She thought she might call me back in for Ellard in The Foreigner, but thought I seemed too young for the rest of the season (or too much of a contrast with others cast).  She seemed possibly a little hard-of-hearing, which made the exchange a bit surreal.
29-30: One of the Columbia students cast me in his short and we filmed in his hometown of Michigan City, which cut down on the drive time and expense.  I guess he and his friends have been working on low-budget horror for a number of years.  This one was a b&w 16mm silent 5-minute short, a final project for some 2nd year class.  The director later told me it was the top film at their class screening.

No comments: