21 November 2012

February 2009


2-6: More performances of The Further Adventures of Louie the Lightning Bug.
4: After a morning show, off to Chicago to do a whirlwind of graduate school auditions.  Each was similar in a way, 3 minutes of 2 contrasting monologues (classical/contemporary) (I used the same two pieces to fulfill this); and then a short interview.  Fortunately got in to the first - The Cleveland Play House/Case Western Reserve University - early, so I wasn't as rushed for the next appointment, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, which also had me sing a few bars a capella.  While waiting for the third, National Theatre Conservatory, I remet a woman who had also been at the Hilberry audition.  It turns out she is the Casting Director for Festival 56, so I asked if I could audition for her as well.  So we found a quiet hallway and I did my package.  She then asked for another contemporary piece and asked me to present it conversationally.  After my song, she complemented my voice, saying I was a crooner ala Sinatra.  Then finished up the night with Old Globe/University of San Diego.
5: The next evening, auditioned for Notre Dame Shakespeare Festval's Twelfth Night.  [Actually, it's in my notes as "auditions/callbacks" - not sure if I recall why.  Perhaps a callback for students, plus others, such as myself, for the first time?]
8: NTC allowed us the time (Monday off) and mileage to drive down to Memphis for UPTA.  My slot was late afternoon Sunday, so callbacks stretched into the evening.  Started off with Hampstead Stage Company - I had not realized that my college friend Meagan worked for them, and would be in the room for the callback.  Next up, Tecumseh!-Outdoor Drama.  The artistic director, who of course remembered me from last year, had me present a different piece than my package, and filmed that.  Rolled on to Poetry Alive!, where I did some cold reads, then CLIMB Theatre, where they filmed some improvisation.  Both long contracts.  I asked to interview with Theater at Monmouth, since I'd had some previous contact with them.  After seeing a different Shakespeare piece, the artistic director said he didn't think I was the right type for Laertes, which was the only non-intern, non-Eqity role he was looking to cast.  But he said I should follow-up later if I thought I really did want to do another internship.  I decided not to go to a callback for Missoula Children's Theatre, based on previous interactions with them, and dropped off a resume/headshot with Texas Shakespeare Festival.  Then went and hung out at the bar for the rest of the night with NTC and Hampstead folks (and everyone else).
10-13: Even more performances of The Further Adventures ...
14: We traveled up to Madison to visit with another NTC troupe and attend the Wisconsin Theatre Auditions.  Odd format, as they have a separate appointment included (for those who desire) for American Players Theatre, which preceded (at least for me) the group audition.  Then they have two different rooms/groups for non-singing and singing actors.  I ended up performing five different pieces, with only one overlapping, to maximize the different situations.  It worked out well, except that the accompanist played way too fast, and I got another callback from each room; Great River Shakespeare Festival, although I think they do their main auditions in the summer a year prior; and Prairie Fire Children's Theatre, which just asked for my resume/headshot.
17-20, 23-27: And yet more performances of The Further Adventures ...
28: We were in or near Indianapolis, so I took the opportunity to attend a casting call there for an indie feature, Bloomington.  After my audition, I noticed they were pretty short-handed, so I offered to assist, signing people in and leading them into the audition room, etc. for the next couple hours.

No comments: